Helen Y. Davis Leadership Academy Charter Public School (DLA) is a tuition-free, 6-8 grade middle school, located in the Field' s Corner section of Dorchester. We encourage all interested families to apply for enrollment in our lottery.
We are accepting applications for 2017-2018. If you are interested in enrolling for the school year 2017-2018, please use the Boston Public Charter Schools Online Application form. Applications must be received by Tuesday, February 28, 2017 5:00 PM. Applications received after this deadline will be added to the waitlist. If you require a paper application, please email Claudette Jones, Special Programs Coordinator at email@example.com or call at 617-474-7950.
The annual Lottery was held on Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 6:30 PM at Helen Y. Davis Leadership Academy Charter Public School, 23 Leonard Street, Boston, MA 02122. Lottery results are posted here. Click here for 2017-2018 Lottery Results.
WHO CAN APPLY?
- Anyone who is entering grades 6-8 in Fall 2017 may apply.
- A child must reside in Massachusetts in order to enter the lottery.
- Siblings* of current DLA students will receive preference in the lottery.
- Boston residents will receive preference over Non-Boston residents.
*A sibling shares a common parent, either biologically or legally through adoption.
HOW DO I APPLY?
- Fill out the online application above.
If you choose to fill out a paper application instead of the online application, please make sure to answer all questions thoroughly and legibly and mail or hand deliver the completed application and documentation (proof of residency) to:
Helen Y. Davis Leadership Academy Charter Public School
Special Programs Coordinator
23 Leonard Street
Boston, MA 02122
***Applications that are incomplete will not be accepted.***
WHAT QUALIFIES AS PROOF OF RESIDENCY?
Proof of residency can be ONE of the following:
- 2 proofs of residency at the time admission is offered
- Utility Bill (not water or cell phone) dated within the past 60 days
- A deed or mortgage payment dated within the past 60 days, or property tax bill dated within the last year
- A current lease, section 8 agreement or landlord affidavit
- A W-2 form dated within the year or a payroll stub dated within the past 60 days
- A bank or credit card statement dated within the past 60 days
- A letter from an approved government agency dated within the past 60 days
*Approved government agencies include Department of Revenue (DOE), Children and Family Services (DCF), Transitional Assistance (DTA), Youth Services (DYS), Social Security, any communication on Commonwealth of Massachusetts letterhead
SOME IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT THE LOTTERY:
- Students are selected through a random public lottery.
- Students who are not selected in the lottery will be placed on a waitlist.
- Students will remain on the waitlist by order of selection in the lottery and will be informed when seats become available.
- Applications must be received by Tuesday, February 28, 2017 5:00 PM.
- Applications that are incomplete will not be accepted.
- Lottery results will be made public on our website at www.dlacps.org within 24-48 hours of the drawing. All students will receive a notice of their placement in the lottery drawing within a week of the drawing.
- A student is eligible to participate in the lottery even if parents/guardians cannot attend the Lottery in person.
Please note that students selected via lottery are not secured a seat if all enrollment paperwork is not completed. Once a student is selected to attend DLA via lottery, parents/guardians have 14 days to submit all enrollment paperwork and accept a seat at DLA. It is imperative that all enrollment paperwork is completed; an incomplete file will result in the loss of the student’s seat.
Beginning 14 days after the lottery, students from the waitlist will be offered seats until all remaining seats are filled. Parents/Guardians will be notified via phone and mail if their student’s status changes from being waitlisted to being offered a seat.
Lottery results will be posted here. For additional questions regarding the lottery process and lottery results, please contact Claudette Jones at 617-474-7950 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following the Wednesday, March 8, 2017 Lottery, waitlist students will be notified as seats become available. All applications received after Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 5:00 PM will be placed on the waitlist in the order they are received.
Students/families who placed in the lottery and are interested in enrolling in DLA, are encouraged to attend our Information Night on Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 6:30 PM to meet DLA staff, and talk with current students and other parents/guardians about their experiences at the school.
Parents/guardians who cannot attend the Information Night should contact Claudette Jones, Special Programs Coordinator at 617-474-7950 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
All incoming students must attend a one-week orientation and academic institute to familiarize themselves with the curriculum and to begin work on Math and English skills. During Summer Orientation, students will have the opportunity to meet with teachers and other incoming students, and learn about important DLA resources.
Summer Orientation is July 10-14, 2017
Orientation packets will be mailed to all admitted students whose enrollment packet is complete in June 2017.
There is no fee for students to attend Summer Orientation.
Other Charter Schools
To learn more about enrolling in other Massachusetts Public Charter Schools, please visit the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education Office of Charter Schools and School Redesign's website.
Boston Public Schools
To learn more about enrolling in Boston Public Schools (BPS), please visit the BPS website.
Please feel free to contact Claudette Jones, Special Programs Coordinator at 617-474-7950 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.